Researching abroad

DAAD scholarships and support programs
The German Academic Exchange Service (DAAD) awards short-term and one-year scholarships to doctoral candidates to fund expenses incurred in stays abroad for research or study purposes. Scholarships for a full year are only awarded to postgraduates who pursue their doctorate within a bi-nationally supervised doctoral assessment procedure. Furthermore, DAAD provides information on teaching possibilities abroad.

Support programs by the German-French University / Université Franco-Allemande (DFH-UFA) (in French/German)
The German-French University, a network of member universities from Germany and France, aims at promoting the cooperation and academic exchange between Germany and France. In order to do so, it provides funding to postgraduate research training groups as well as German-French doctoral assessment procedures (cotutelle de thèse).

Eiffel scholarship by the French Ministry of Foreign Affairs and Internationals Development
The French Ministry of Foreign Affairs and International Development awards the Eiffel scholarship to highly qualified foreign doctoral candidates who also stay at a French university in the course of a bi-nationally supervised doctoral assessment procedure.

Fulbright Program
The German-American Fulbright Program supports young researchers who are at the beginning of their doctoral phase and want to conduct research in the USA in connection with their own dissertational project. Scholarship recipients are expected to return to their home universities and complete their doctorate after the end of their research stay in the USA.

Gutenberg Teaching Council (GTC)
The GTC offers all full-time teaching staff at Johannes Gutenberg University Mainz (JGU), and especially young researchers, the opportunity to gain teaching experience at another university, preferably a foreign university.

Short-term stay abroad
Doctoral candidates in the humanities and social sciences can apply to the Gutenberg Graduate School of the Humanities and Social Sciences (Mail) for funding for travel expenses incurred during a short stay at a university or scientific institution abroad..